This past weekend we celebrated D’s and his mom’s birthday. Celebrations started on Friday and ended on Sunday, visiting with all sides of the family. I think he had a nice time. I asked him what he wanted to do and we did it. When I asked him what he wanted to do on his actual birthday, he told me he wanted me to make Italian Beef (simple) and maybe a dessert or something that Mini Me could also have. After all, we don’t need a crazy 3 year old to be going on a jealous rage that she can’t eat cake when we are enjoying it. So, Thursday night came, and Mini Me and I started making a cake. She absolutely LOVES to help me in the kitchen. Loves to help measure things, mix things, and just be with me. I am flattered by it. And because I was making a Vegan/Allergy Friendly cake, she got to taste every ingredient along the way. I may have, too.
We first made the cake. While it was baking, we moved onto the mousse, and then the ganache. Once the cake was cooled completely, I spread the mousse between the two layers of cake, and added a thick layer to just the top of the cake. I let that set overnight in the fridge (in this awesome Wilton Cake Caddy) while the ganache also set. Before the birthday boy got home from work, I spread the ganache evenly on the top of the cake and the sides with a large icing spatula (like this one), and put it back in the fridge until it was time to serve. Please remember, if you do make this cake, that it needs to be refrigerated for the mousse and the ganache. Don’t worry, it won’t dry the cake out, I PROMISE!
Let me tell you… This cake is ABSOLUTELY amazing, and you would have NO idea that it was vegan. None. I wanted to eat the whole thing. I likely had too much of it over the weekend… Just sayin’. I might as well own up to my indulgence. It was totally worth it, though!
Kate’s Triple Chocolate Cake
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 3 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 6 Tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 cup Truvia Baking Blend (or 2 Cups Sugar)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare cake pans (I used these 8″ round aluminum cake pans from Wilton, and the Wilton Bake Even Strips which help the cake be more consistently level as it bakes)
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl
- Make “wells” for vinegar, vanilla, and coconut oil and pour each into a “well” (one should be big enough to hold coconut oil)
- Pour water over the top
- Mix with hand mixer until smooth
- Divide batter evenly into prepare cake pans
- Bake on center rack for 32-38 minutes, testing with a toothpick to be sure cake is done
- Remove and let cool on cooling racks for 5 minutes before removing cakes from pans to cool completely
Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- 2 ripe Haas avocados
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 6 Tbsp. cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 3 Tbsp. almond or cashew milk (I used chocolate cashew milk)
- Put all ingredients into a blender (I used my single serving Ninja cup) or food processor and blend until smooth.
(Seriously, its that easy!)
Vegan Salted Milk Chocolate Ganache
- 1 bag dairy free chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life or Chocolate Dream)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- With a double boiler or a sauce pot with water topped with a glass mixing bowl, melt and combine all ingredients together until smooth. I whisked along the way with a small whisk to be sure that it was completely smooth.
- Let set for at least 3 hours in the fridge before using as an icing.
(This also makes a great dip for fruit while warm!)
Enjoy this super fudgey cake! It is my favorite cake I’ve actually ever had – saying a lot considering where I work!